Here’s a southern twist on a classic Italian dish I know you will love. This is a great Fall / Winter breakfast or brunch dish that takes about 30 minutes to make and will serve 3-4 people.
Uova al Purgatorio (Eggs in Purgatory) Southern Style
- 6 slices of thick bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly chopped
- 1 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 5 eggs
- Cast-iron skillet
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Toast or grits (optional)
- Cook bacon in cast-iron skillet on medium. Once cooked set aside the bacon and chop/crumble.
- Using the grease from the bacon saute onions until they are clear
- Using your hands mash each tomato and place into the skillet. Add all the juice from the can into the skillet as well.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes
- Place eggs into the skillet to poach. Make a tiny well, crack the egg and place. Do this for each egg you place.
- Cook until each egg is poached. (Until whites are set but yolks are still runny)
- Top with bacon and season with fresh black pepper and salt to taste
- Serve with toast or grits